2020 Review of the National Standard of Competency for Architects
The AACA commenced a project in January 2020 to review the National Standard of Competency for Architects (NSCA). Regular updates will be included on this page. An Expert Reference Group comprised of nominees from stakeholder organisations will provide professional advice to the project.
Initial plans were for a draft report of the review to be considered at the 2020 Annual Meeting of Architect Registration Boards in Perth on 15 October 2020. Given the evolving Coronavirus COVID-19 situation, initial project timelines are being adjusted as required.
Terms of Reference
The Review of the NSCA will focus on the extent to which the NSCA:
- broadly reflects the role of an architect across the diversity of modes of practice
- represents the needs of regulators and reflects current and emerging risks across the profession as a whole
- is fit for purpose as the benchmark for AACA assessment programs.
Project stages and timeframes
Stage 1: January–March: Research and data collection (complete)
- Comparison of relevant national and international performance benchmarks
- Survey to gather views from across the profession on threshold issues for consideration. The survey opened in late January and was promoted through all stakeholders before being closed on 27 February.
- Expert Reference Group established and first meeting conducted
Stage 2: March–April (timeframe under review)
- Analysis of survey outcomes and relevant national and international research and data
- Development of issues paper to inform consultation with stakeholder groups
- Formal input from stakeholders
Stage 3: May–June (timeframe under review)
- Option analysis
- Draft proposed revisions to the Standard
Stage 4: July-September (timeframe under review)
- Consultations on the revised draft of the Standard
- Outline proposed implementation strategy of the revised Standard across AACA programs
Stage 5: October 2020 (timeframe under review)
- Presentation of draft report to the Architect Registration Boards
Expert Reference Group
The Expert Reference Group was established during March 2020. Membership includes:
- Dr Tanja Glusac (WA) – AASA Rep
- Ms Charmaine Kai (QLD) – ACA Rep
- Mr Bill Krotiris (VIC) – nominated by the ARBs as having current practice experience
- Dr Kirsten Orr (NSW) – nominated by the Registrars as having experience with regulation
- Mr Alec Tzannes (NSW) – AIA Rep
Communications and updates
All opportunities for input or comment will be advised via project updates, published to the News section of the AACA Home Page, and noted on this Review Page.
If you wish to be informed when project updates are published, please send an email to [email protected] and we will send you an email link when project updates are published.
Updated 31 March 2020