2020 Review of the National Standard of Competency for Architects
The AACA has commenced a project to review the National Standard of Competency for Architects (NSCA). Regular updates will be included on this page. An Expert Reference Group comprised of nominees from stakeholder organisations will provide professional advice to the project. A draft report of the review will be considered at the 2020 Annual Meeting of Architect Registration Boards in Perth on 15 October 2020.
Terms of Reference
The Review of the NSCA will focus on the extent to which the NSCA:
- broadly reflects the role of an architect across the diversity of modes of practice
- represents the needs of regulators and reflects current and emerging risks across the profession as a whole
- is fit for purpose as the benchmark for AACA assessment programs.
Project stages and timeframes
Stage 1: January–March: Research and data collection (in progress)
- Comparison of relevant national and international performance benchmarks
- Survey to gather views from across the profession on threshold issues for consideration. See here for an overview and link to the survey. The survey will remain open until 27 Feb 2020
- Expert Reference Group established
Stage 2: March–April
- Analysis of survey outcomes and relevant national and international research and data
- Development of issues paper to inform consultation with stakeholder groups
- Formal input from stakeholders
Stage 3: May–June
- Option analysis
- Draft proposed revisions to the Standard
Stage 4: July-September
- Consultations on the revised draft of the Standard
- Outline proposed implementation strategy of the revised Standard across AACA programs
Stage 5: October 2020
- Presentation of draft report to the Annual Meeting of Architect Registration Boards
Expert Reference Group
The Expert Reference Group will be established by no later than 31st March 2020. The membership of the group will be noted here once established.
Communications and updates
All opportunities for input or comment will be advised via project updates, published to the News section of the AACA Home Page, and noted on this Review Page.
If you wish to be informed when project updates are published, please send an email to [email protected] and we will send you an email link when project updates are published.
Updated 21 January 2020